Thursday, August 19, 2010

dog days

J started back at school this week, so E and I are getting in to all sorts of trouble. We have taken to baking whole wheat bread daily. In other news, the garden is splendid. We have no less than 6 cantaloupes ripening, several eggplants (will they never end!), peas, spinach, beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts are coming up. We also have a rouge cherry tomato plant coming up in the flower bed, a volunteer I am certain from our neighbors' disastrous fight with the squirrels last year. Though I try not to have favorites, I have a special place in my heart for that plant.

I am on an Oaxacan kick in the kitchen, and have a chocolate mole sauce simmering at the moment to cover some green beans. I plan to use the rest of the Poblano peppers in a cream sauce to cover mushroom filled crepes tomorrow, with some cardamom-vanilla shortcakes dipped in white chocolate for dessert. I love summer cooking.

IMG_8095

My friend Becs started this tradition last year, asking a series of questions to her older daughter. I think we'll start it this year. Though likely this will be the only year, because I am not good with traditions.

1) What is something that your Mom always says to you? I don't know
2) What makes your Mom happy? ME! I make your heart happy!
3) What makes your Mom sad? when I hit you
4) How does your Mom make you laugh? when you are silly
5) What was your Mom like as a child? I can't even possibly begin to answer that question. maybe you played in the garden.
6) How old is your Mom? older than me, so 5?
7) How tall is your Mom? this big (demonstrates by patting my head)
8) What is her favorite thing to do? read
9) What does your Mom do when your not around? I don't know, I am not there (with a 'duh' tone to his voice)
10) If your Mom becomes famous what will it be for? I don't really know
11) What is your Mom really good at? arts and crafts
12) What is your Mom not good at? driving
13) What does your Mom do for a job? Well, I really need to go poopies. You can wipe my bum if you want. (wow, this kid is astute)
14) What is your Moms favorite food? well, you make bread
15) What makes you proud of your Mom? you know, when you give me hugs and kisses
16) If your Mom was a Cartoon Character who would she be? (I don't think he could really answer this one)
17) What do you and your Mom do together? play
18) How are you and your Mom the same? I don't know
19) How are you and your Mom different? I think this is about enough of this
20) How do you know your Mom loves you? you say it like oodles of poodles
21) What does your Mom like most about your Dad? hmmm....that's tricky. I am not sure I really know that one.
22) Where's your Moms favorite place go? CAMPING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting responses to some very good questions. I'd be curious about your responses to those questions...maybe you can email them to me! Enjoy your weekend.

Love, Mom

Grandmere said...

I love traditions - although Joseph's response to my reminders is usually "Huh?"...which makes it all worthwhile.

Grandmere said...

And I'm still dreaming about your breakfast french toast; could we make that a tradition, Anne?